Monday, December 17, 2007

Delicious!

Some people ask me how I do my job without getting sick. How can I possibly mix poop, pour urine and look at boogers from strangers without retching? Well, I'll tell you, in the beginning, I did my share of gagging, and yes even vomiting just a little in the back of my mouth. But one day I stumbled upon the trick that would serve me well . I can mix the most unusual cup of stool, with not one heave. I can pour off any urine sample with nary a gag. I discovered the trick that makes bodily fluids seem not only blase, but dare I say, possibly delicious? Today I feel like sharing my trick in case the need arises for you ,to one day ,dabble in the stool of strangers.( My nursing school friends may come to rely on this technique one day.)
I think of food. Simple, yet effective. Good old home cookin. Stirring, mixing, serving delectables for a delicious meal. Suddenly a cup of stool becomes a warm cup of...chili. Depending on the color, I could be making brownies, peanut brittle, or a delicious beefy stew. (I overlook the fact there are no potatoes). Corn chowder is a standard, and occasionally it seems as if I am whipping up a batch of no bake coconut cookies!
Time to pour off urine? Oh no it's not! It is a tea party ! I serve cider, apple juice, ice cold lemon aid. Sometimes eggnog is called for and dark red cranberry juice is a must.
Semen becomes a wonderful donut glaze, and sputum...... Well, sputum is difficult. Sputum. Not delicious, not yummy in the least. Nothing mouthwatering comes to mind when I look at a dab of lung boogers, except a little bit of vomit in the back of my throat. I still have a problem with that.
So my method is not perfect. A small flaw. But otherwise a delightful episode of Iron Chef!

6 comments:

Anna said...

bahahahaha!
That was amazing. I think that some patients may be on to that trick and are doing their share to help. I often appreciate those patients who bring in their stool sample in a potatoe salad container, or their runny fecal matter in a glass juice bottle. It makes it almost seem that they are dropping off a snack of potatoe salad, or serving of prune juice.
A personal favorite was recently a sample came in a margarine tub....I cant believe its not butter!

pinklover said...

I knew you would understand, Anna.

Heather Childs aka Habbs said...

I could not stop laughing when I read this! I do have to agree with Anna, that patients bring in their stool in the strangest containers.... Or you gotta love it when you can tell that they have packed that stool in that container-as much as they could fit! Disgusting! I will have to use your idea more often! I just have to make sure I hold my breath, because then I would realize that it is not beef stew, chili, or brownies! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd still guzzle a cup of sputum any day over a cup of stool.

much love

todd

Tamara Jacobs said...

Sputum would be my choice if the only two items on the menu were sputum and stool. That's just me though.

Much love,
Todd

pinklover said...

Now, Todd, tell the truth. Even if there were more things on the menu, like spaghetti or chicken, you would choose sputum.

xoxoxo,
Shannon